Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Love and Other Forgein Words by Erin McCahan

Love and Other Foreign Word by Erin McCahan 
Published by Dial on May 1st,2014
Genres: Contemporary
Pages: 336  
Source: Book was sent to me by Penguin in 
exchange for an honest opinion.

Sixteen-year-old Josie lives her life in translation. She speaks High School, College, Friends, Boyfriends, Break-ups, and even the language of Beautiful Girls. But none of these is her native tongue--the only people who speak that are her best friend Stu and her sister Kate. So when Kate gets engaged to an epically insufferable guy, how can Josie see it as anything but the mistake of a lifetime? Kate is determined to bend Josie to her will for the wedding; Josie is determined to break Kate and her fiancé up. As battles are waged over secrets and semantics, Josie is forced to examine her feelings for the boyfriend who says he loves her, the sister she loves but doesn't always like, and the best friend who hasn't said a word--at least not in a language Josie understands  



1/2

I enjoyed this book. The whole novel follows Josie who is so insanely smart that it made me feel incredibility dumb.  Josie can speak all these different languages such as high school, college, friends and so on but the one language she can't grasp is the language of love. 

This book follows Josie navigating through the world of 'love' and trying to understand it. It all begins when her older sister announces that she is engaged to a insufferable man named Geoff. Now when he was first introduced I could not stand the guy. He was a huge know it all, cocky and what topped it off for me was when he told Kate's mother that 'There was a little to much basil in the sauce but that's ok, Americans make that mistake often.'

Um, what? I have to give it to Kate's parents for being mature, patient people because Lord knows if I was told that I would be none of those things! Josie is quite upset that Kate is marrying this horrible man and tries to break them up quite often.

Josie is forced to look the language of love and try to understand it. She even gets in a relationship with a sweet boy named Lucas but fails to fall in love. 

I liked this book but I wouldn't say I loved it. I found it extremely hard to connect with Josie. That could be me, though. I am a huge romantic and I believe that when you find the right person that 'You just know'.  Josie had a hard time grasping the concept of love and how it doesn't matter if someone is completely different for you that love is just that- love.

I did enjoy her relationships with her sisters, but it was another thing I couldn't understand. I only have one sibling, a younger brother so I don't understand the relationships with sisters. I enjoyed reading about Josie & Kate though. I also loved reading about Josie with her friends Stu & Sophie.

I will say I predicted the ending from almost the beginning. I loved the ending, I just wish we got to see it a little sooner if that makes any sense. Overall I did enjoy this book! It will make you look at love and analyze it much like Josie did.

Also props to Erin McCahan for using the band Styx in this book! That is my Dad's all time favorite band! It was fun seeing that in this book!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment