Monday, December 22, 2014

Heart of the Matter by Emily Giffin

Heart of the Matter by Emily Giffin  
Published by St.Martins Press on May 11, 2010
Genres: Chick Lit
Pages: 368
Source: 
Buy the BookGoodreads


 Tessa Russo is the mother of two young children and the wife of a renowned pediatric surgeon.  Despite her own mother's warnings, Tessa has recently given up her career to focus on her family and the pursuit of domestic happiness. From the outside, she seems destined to live a charmed life.

Valerie Anderson is an attorney and single mother to six-year-old Charlie--a boy who has never known his father.  After too many disappointments, she has given up on romance--and even to some degree, friendships--believing that it is always safer not to expect too much.

Although both women live in the same Boston suburb, the two have relatively little in common aside from a fierce love for their children.  But one night, a tragic accident causes their lives to converge in ways no one could have imagined. 

In alternating, pitch-perfect points of view, Emily Giffin creates a moving, luminous story of good people caught in untenable circumstances. Each being tested in ways they never thought possible. Each questioning everything they once believed. And each ultimately discovering what truly matters most.



 

I've read one of Emily Giffin's books before, Something Borrowed which I did enjoy so I went into this book expecting the same and was somewhat disappointed.

I don't think I'm spoiling anything by saying there's cases of infidelity in this book. I didn't know so but by the end of the 3rd chapter you can defiantly tell something is going to happen. If I would have known that before going into the book, I probably wouldn't have read it.
I'll say it once & I'll say it again. I loathe books that have infidelity in marriages. I get that it happens a ton in real life and it is a issue that needs to be talked about but I just honestly cannot stand it. I'm married and I take my wedding vows seriously and I always will and I know my husband does the same.
It would have been easier reading this book if Tessa was a horrible wife but she wasn't. She quit her job to be with her kids and to focus on her marriage which I support. I also support Mom's that work too.  Each woman is different, some Mom's thrive on work and can't quit it (me for example) and some Mom's love staying home, to each their own honestly. 
Tessa was somewhat  annoying but I think that's understandable when you have a husband who's a surgeon who can be called to the hospital at anytime. Her other Mom friends were annoying as well but overall Tessa was a likable character. She was just a woman trying desperately to make her marriage work and be the best Mom she can be.










Then comes in Valerie. I will say Valerie is a likable character. A strong willed single Mom who works so hard to provide for her adorable son, Charlie. I think Valerie was written to be liked and I somewhat liked her. I don't think that forgives her for what she did. Valerie knew Nick was married. She knew he had 2 kids and still she fell for him.

Yes I get that whole 'We can't help who we fall for' but I mean when it comes to someone being married I think you should just take a huge step back. Nick wasn't a horrible character and that he was just looking to be needed and he had an amazing relationship with the adorable, Charlie but to spend more time with him rather than his own kids breaks my heart.
He's a doctor and he cares for his patients but he had a special bond with Charlie which isn't wrong by any means. I just think he spent more time with Charlie than he should because Charlie needed a father figure. Sure it's not a bad thing, but when you already have 2 kids at home...you just need to step back.

This wasn't a bad book, I just have strong feelings on cheating in marriage. I also can't stand cheating in any relationship but with marriage you make a promise, you put on a ring, you vow to be faithful so that's what really erks me. Other people might feel differently which is totally ok. To each their own.

The ending?! I get the forgiving but I would love to see how it panned out. To see how each of them felt years down the road. I felt the ending was very abrupt and rushed.
Have you read this book? What did you think?






No comments:

Post a Comment