Wednesday, July 9, 2014

The Best Of Us by Sarah Pekkanen


The Best Of Us by Sarah Pekkanen                                       Published by Washington Square Press on April 9, 2013          Genres: Chick Lit
Pages: 338

 Following a once-in-a-lifetime invitation, a group of old college friends leap at the chance to bring their husbands for a week’s vacation at a private villa in Jamaica to celebrate a former classmates' thirty-fifth birthday.
All four women are desperate for a break and this seems like a perfect opportunity. Tina is drowning under the demands of mothering four young children. Allie needs to escape from the shattering news about an illness that runs in her family. Savannah is carrying the secret of her husband’s infidelity. And, finally, there’s Pauline, who spares no expense to throw her husband an unforgettable birthday celebration, hoping it will gloss over the cracks that have already formed in their new marriage.

The week begins idyllically, filled with languorous days and late nights of drinking and laughter. But as a hurricane approaches the island, turmoil builds, forcing each woman to re-evaluate everything she’s known about the others—and herself




I've been in the mood to read a ton of chick lit lately thanks to Landline by Rainbow Rowell & decided to pick this one up. It started off great, I felt like I could really connect with one of the characters. 
This whole book is about 4 different marriages and how each of them are struggling in their own ways. They all go on a vacation and are confronted with these struggles. 
This is when the book went down hill for me. I understand that every marriage struggles but I think it's within those struggles that really defines the marriage. Without spoiling anything, I was highly disappointed in a couple of the characters and the decisions they made. 
The decisions these characters made really made me dislike the book. Not only the decisions but the aftermath of these decisions also upset me. Maybe it's just me and my views on marriage are different than others but I just did not like the way this book ended.
I will say the writing in this book was amazing. Sarah has a way of webbing you into the story and keeping you there until you finish and that's exactly what I did.
I do plan to read more of her books, this one wasn't a huge disappointment but I just really disliked some of the decisions in this book. ARGGHH!


No comments:

Post a Comment