Friday, January 23, 2015

Book vs. Movie Round 1: My Sister's Keeper


Welcome to a new feature on the blog!
Book vs. Movie!!!

Now we all love (sometimes) when a book we love is being made into a movie. We eagerly await the day we can watch the movie & see if it lived up to the book right? Sometimes it does, a lot of times it doesn't.
With this new feature I am going through every single one of the books I've read that has been made into a movie and hashing out the details.
Was the movie as good as the book or completely horrible?
Did they stay faithful to the book?

All these questions & more will be answered in the 1st round of
Book vs. Movie!

This round we are looking at the book,
My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult.

I read my Sister's Keeper when I was 16.
In retrospect I was probably to young to read it but I still loved it. It was my first Jodi Picoult book & I read a ton of her books after reading this one.
If your unfamiliar with the plot of My Sister's Keeper, I'll get you up to speed.

Jodi Picoult tells the emotionally riveting story of a family torn apart by conflicting needs and a passionate love that triumphs over human weakness. Anna is not sick, but she might as well be. By age thirteen, she has undergone countless surgeries, transfusions, and shots so that her older sister, Kate, can somehow fight the leukemia that has plagued her since childhood. The product of preimplantation genetic diagnosis, Anna was conceived as a bone marrow match for Kate -- a life and a role that she has never challenged...until now. Like most teenagers, Anna is beginning to question who she truly is. But unlike most teenagers, she has always been defined in terms of her sister -- and so Anna makes a decision that for most would be unthinkable, a decision that will tear her family apart and have perhaps fatal consequences for the sister she loves.
  
It's an amazing book. Heartwrenching book as well. I was excited when I learned it was being made into a movie. I patiently waited for the movie to come out on DVD and was shocked!



They changed the most vital part of the book!

 They changed the whole ending!

 There were a ton of other changes they made that were different from the book but the biggest one was the ending. I was very upset about that. I understand little changes for the sake of the movie but to completely alter the whole ending? Now that's just a slap in the face!
I didn't really enjoy the movie either. I felt distant from it the entire time I watched it. I didn't feel for the characters in the movie as I did in the book. It wasn't that great at all. 

It's safe to say in this round,
Book clobbered Movie!

I wouldn't even give the movie a 1 out of 5 if I'm being honest.
Horrible movie
but 
amazing book!

 




3 comments:

  1. I could NOT agree with you more! I studied the book in high school, and then as a school end-of-year trip we went and saw the movie...and ohmygosh. You can't just go and change the ending like that! Argh! To this day, I remain angry at that movie.
    The book though was brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm completely the opposite. I didn't like the ending in the book - it felt so much as a "I'm doing this because I can"-endning. Liked the movie so much better! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now you got me interested. I read the book but i didn't see the movie cause i don't want to go through the book experience a 2nd time. Thought i let the information from the book to slip away first before i watch it..that way i won't know what's happening next...but now that you said the ending differs...i'm curious...

    ReplyDelete